As the New Year approaches, I have to start thinking about what I will do differently in 2015. I start with the same plan every January 1st – I vow that this is the year I will get healthy, and of course – lose weight.
This year I have decided on a “smoothie diet”, something that will give me a refreshing drink for breakfast coupled with a sensible lunch and dinner. So I begin to make preparations:
Get a blender for Christmas to make the smoothies ✓
Buy some tasty fruits and vegetables to create the perfect drink ✓
Download recipes from the Internet to try and mix things up ✓
Remove all of the ‘bad for me’ food from the house to remove temptation ✓
Okay – so now I have a plan! I’m very excited, 2015 will be the year of healthy food! But wait, I have already planned to go to Disney in February and again in May – how is that going to work?
I am by no means a food connoisseur, I’m actually just a very picky eater with a terrible sweet tooth, but food has become a very important part of my trips to Walt Disney World. People have asked on my Facebook page and Instagram “Is it all about the food?” after I’ve posted so many pictures of the food and treats. I even have a Pintrest board dedicated to them!
Of course when people think about Walt Disney World they think about the attractions, the castle, the pools & resorts but many don’t think about the food and delightful treats that have now become a “must have” on my vacations. Here are my top 5 sweet tooth addictions at the Magic Kingdom (the list is too long if I include all the parks and resorts!)
5. Anything from the Main Street Confectionary. They have everything here – caramel apples or fudge – how do you choose? Cupcakes or cookies, Ican’t decide! There are just too many tasty indulgences to pick just one. We normally stop here when we’re leaving the park for an afternoon break to pick up something sweet to have with a cup of tea!
4. The Cinnamon Roll from Gaston’s. This was a new ‘find’ in December of this year that has been recently added. This delightful treat can be found in the Magic Kingdom and makes the perfect ‘sugar rush’ to start your day. It’s huge though – you can share it to save some calories for lunch!
3. The Masters cupcake with ‘grey stuff’. This can only be found at lunch time in the Magic Kingdom – only at Be Our Guest. This cupcake is so delicious – and how fun is it to be eating something that they sing about in the movies? “Try the grey stuff, it’s delicious! Don’t believe me? Ask the dishes!”. Yes, I sing it every time I order it (I wonder how often the servers hear that?)
2. Dole Whip. This is a pineapple-flavored soft-serve frozen dessert that is so refreshing! We normally get it at Aloha Isle in the Magic Kingdom, but you can get it over at the Polynesian Village Resort as well. When we were in Hawaii visiting Disney’s Aulani resort we drove to the Dole Plantation to get some there! It’s also a great treat for those who are lactose intolerant – it’s like a special ice cream treat without the lactose!
1. My favorite sweet treat in the Magic Kingdom? It has to be the cupcakes at the Cheshire Café. These guys got the cupcake to cake ratio correct! It’s all about the icing… They have a chocolate one and a strawberry – and while I’m not normally a fan of strawberry desserts – it’s definitely my favorite here!
Now that I have itemized my list of sweet treats in the Magic Kingdom, how am I going to do this in February and stick to my diet? I’m starting off at Walt Disney World for a few days, then on to a Disney Cruise where they serve the best chicken fingers morning, noon and night! While they always have healthy options at all of the Disney Parks, Resorts and Cruises, I don’t think my will power will be strong enough to select the apple slices over the chocolate cake at dessert. Hmmm… maybe I’d better build in a few weeks of ‘cheating’ in to this fabulous plan of mine? Okay – I’ve got it! Smoothie diet in Toronto and all bets are off at Disney. After all, you do so much walking there that the calories don’t count right? That’s my story and I’m sticking to it! Now will someone please pass me some spinach and flax seeds for my blender?